[Sca-cooks] The Sicilian story?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:19:45 PDT 2007

Someone said recently that her spouse is Sicilian. Santi, my son, just
was at a very special wedding for us and of course we are on skype for
hours at a time to procure every detail from him as he is a gourmet cook
and was the only family member who could attend as best man.  After Air
Italia canceled their flights, lost their luggage and dress for the
wedding, a two hour hairy bus ride through the mountains etc they
arrived at a precious a church and finally the priest forgot his words.
The quest were left wondering if this wedding would never take place but
finally the started gushing out flowingly. -  Sicilians are the first
melting pot of the world for all the invasions and conquests the island
has in history!  Until the groom said, I Hannah will take you as my
wedded wife. (Fortunately, my son was able to remind him that his
Damien. His wife is Hannah!
    I howled but asked why the priest forgot to say cuisine. Santi
retaliated, the chef at the reception decided to make as many dishes as
he could for the guests to try the most typical of Sicilian. He cooked
and cooked. He served so much that when Santi thought another morsel
could pass through his throat a delicious sword fish appeared and then
an entire boar on a spit was displayed, carved and served. They
continued to stuff themselves. Then a pastry chef entered the hall and
made turron on the spot to serve to all.
    I am fascinated. When preparing the Expo in Seville Sicilians came
to Toledo concerning Sicilian art work stolen during the Spanish
occupation as my dear friend Sir John Elliot points out during Philip
IVs reign in particular and I happened have had the privilege to be the
interpreter for the Spanish authorities because the Sicilians wanted to
barrow works from the Duchess of Medina Sidona's collection. (Great
lesson on how Sicilian art influenced Spain by the way.) I suppose
that's when I got interested in Sicily but in cooking never really look
at their influence. I comb Nola daily in Catalan and Castellan. I often
wonder as he worked for Ferran, King Naples and Sicily, the bastard son
of the Alfonso V of Aragon in the 15th Century how Sicily influenced
Nola's recipes and our Spanish recipes as a whole as opposed to my work
on how Sent Sovi and Hispano Arabs influenced Nola.
    What do you think?
Suey