[Sca-cooks] Coloring Comfits Green

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jun 11 09:51:51 PDT 2007

Sounds interesting. What would happen with fresh mint I wonder?
My mint is flourishing and taking over again.
There's a recipe I've tried -- it's a good summer recipe so I'll post it.

To Make Mint Cakes

Take a pound of sugar finely beaten, & put to it 3 or 4
spoonfuls of mint water, & boyle it up to a candy. then
take some mint & shred it small & put it to yr candy
and drop it as you did the rose cakes, & set them in ye
sun or a stove to dry.

Recipe 140. >From the Tudor-Jacobean manuscript known as /A Booke of
Sweetmeats/ as
found in */Martha Washington’s Booke of Cookery/*. Edited with
introduction and commentary by Karen Hess. New York: Columbia University
Press, 1981. The manuscript is dated 1580-1625.

I've done this one before and find that it varies a great deal
depending how ground up the mint leaves are when shredded. You can get
specks of green to a very light color just by using the shredded mint.

Johnna

Elise Fleming wrote:snipped

> Greetings! I don't know if you have been reading the Tudor Cook blog
> recently but they showed pictures of the parsley and sugar syrup that they
> made in their experiment to make green comfits. There were visible clumps
> of green in the clear syrup. My reaction was that they didn't strain out
> the parsley sediment so this morning I decided to try some green comfits,
> using my 55-charge caraway comfits as the base.

Please remember to trim your posts, and to change the subject header
when the topic of the post has changed or when replying to a digest message.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
     Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: