[Sca-cooks] Indian dinner at Pennsic?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 02:31:50 PDT 2007

It isn't a huge book, in terms of the actual recipes.  121 pages of the translations
and 10 pages of introduction and glossary.  Most of the rest of the actual book is a
facsimile of the original manuscript, in black and white, 516 pages worth.  If you
could read the script, you would be able to compare the original with the translation.
There is an interesting center section with all of the illustrations grouped together
and in color, which gives you interesting kitchen, dining and outdoor scenes and clothing
of that region and era.  But compared to the Medieval Arabic Cookery book, it is very
small and with comparatively little commentary.  However, just getting period Indian
recipes translated into English, to me, is worth the purchase price.  But YMMV.

Huette

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> >Hi Cariadoc?
> >
> >Are you not familiar with the Nimatnama?
>
> Haven't seen it. Sounds interesting. How much of
> a cookbook is it--in terms of number of recipes
> and information?
>
> On Amazon it's very expensive. I'll have to check
> if my school's library has it.
>
> >  I have re-read your post here several times and I
> >can't tell if you have seen this book.  It is
> >15th Century Mughal from the sultanate of Mandu.
> >If you don't have it, it is well worth the price
> >and has just been published in the last two
> >years.  Here is the LC record for it:
> >
> >The Ni&#699;matna&#772;ma manuscript of the
> >sultans of Mandu : the Sultan’s book of delights
> >/
> >translated by Norah M. Titley.  London ; New York : RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.
> >xx, 121 p., [516] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
> >ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)
> >  Ni&#699;matna&#772;mah-yi
> >Na&#772;s&#803;iruddi&#772;n
> >Sha&#772;hi&#772;--Illustrations.
> >  Cookery--India--Ma&#772;ndu--Early works to 1800.
> >  Sultans in art--Early works to 1800.
> >  Manuscripts, Urdu--India--Ma&#772;ndu--Facsimiles.
> >  Illumination of books and manuscripts,
> >Indic--India--Ma&#772;ndu--Early works to 1800.
> >  Ma&#772;ndu (India)--Court and courtiers--Food--Early works to 1800.
> >
> >Thank you for mentioning the Akbarnama.  I have
> >found a 3 vol. copy in English for $45 + the cost
> >of shipping from India.  It would be interesting
> >to compare the Akbar list with the Ni'mat
> >recipes and see if there are any cross-overs.
> >
> >Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/