[Sca-cooks] Live Birds in Halls was Camp Ovens

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:24:04 PDT 2007

>Was written:
>
>  If I went the live bird route, I would make  some kind of net
>under the pie top, so the birds don't actually fly away, I was  kind of
>thinking
>a lattice pie top under a solid pie lid.  Messy birds  inside a hall, not a
>good thing.
>
>A cautionary tale regarding live birds in the hall.  I recall hearing that
>there was a political convention held in the "Cow Palace" many years back.
>The backers of "the peace" candidate released white doves in the hall.  The
>birds flew up, around and then straight into some very large fans.  Very
>messy... very messy indeed.
>
>Daniel

I did a large live bird pie for a hippie wedding long ago.  After long
thought I ended up using a couple of my friends doves with clipped wings
(they grow back) and a few chicks which made for a fun table.  The doves
"flew" out a couple of feet or yards and the chicks either just sat there or
jumped out onto the table.  Very entertaining.
Olwen who also did a "critter bread" for the wedding which was also very
entertaining