[Sca-cooks] fork

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 23 20:26:56 PDT 2007

The sources of all this are probably, Giblin, James Cross. From Hand to
Mouth. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell, 1987, and Henisch, Brigit Anne. Feast
and Fast; food in medieval society. University Press, PA: Pennsylvania
University Press, 1976.

The information as it usually appears on the web is something like this:

"A Byzantine princess introduced the table fork to Europe in the eleventh
century. The story varies slightly depending on the source, but the essence
is that a nobleman, probably Domenico Selvo (or Silvio), heir to the Doge of
Venice, married a princess from Byzantium. This Byzantine princess brought a
case of two- tined table forks to Venice as part of her luggage. Forks seem
to have been novelties in Byzantium, but not unknown. Many examples can be
found in Byzantine art, according to Boger and Henisch.

The princess outraged the populace and the clergy by refusing to eat with
her hands:

  "Instead of eating with her fingers like other people, the princess cuts
up her food into small pieces and eats them by means of little golden forks
with two prongs."[Giblin]
  "God in his wisdom has provided man with natural forks - his fingers.
Therefore it is an insult to Him to substitute artificial metallic forks for
them when eating."[Giblin]

The princess apparently died before very long, of some wasting disease,
prompting Peter Damian, Cardinal Bishop of Ostia to write,

  "Of the Venetian Doge's wife, whose body, after her excessive delicacy,
entirely rotted away"[Henisch] "
The problems with all this are (1) Domenico Selvo, then Doge of Florence,
married Teodora Doukaina (AKA Ducas) in 1075, (2)  Saint Peter Damian,
Cardinal Bishop of Ostia, died in 1072, and (3) the quotes do not appear to
be attributable to any 11th Century source.  I have also been unable to
locate any Biblical prohibition against forks or locate any Medieval
reference to a prohibition against forks.

My current opinion is that many of these "facts" are apocryphal and that
they may be an artifact of Victorian imagination, but I haven't been able to
chase sources far enough as yet.

Bear