[Sca-cooks] Thoughts about a neat feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:32:57 PDT 2007

I was thinking about doing a totally fancy feast. It would
be very expensive, costing diners $20 - $25 probably.
But it would be done in an all day, period fashion with
courses brought out at various times with musicians
and entertainment.

The theme would be the Greek Gods with each course
being dedicated to a god or group of gods.

My thought would be to start with Aphrodite and have
dishes of aphrodisiacs like oysters, asparagus, peaches, etc.

The next course would be dedicated to Poseidon with
the bounty of the sea. Grilled lobster, mussles, salmon,
bacalo, maybe sea berry salad, frits de mere.

Then would be the bounty of the land in praise of Demeter
with breads, frumetty, leeks in almond milk, cakes and other
vegetables.
With this would be the praise of the hunt for Artemis with
venison, wild boar and game birds.

The final course would be for Dionysus with a flight of wines,
grapes, fruit and digestives.

Bags in honor of Apollo (god of travellers) containing dried meat,
fruit, cheese and travel breads would be given as a parting gift.

Each course would be preceeded with servants carrying ewers of
warm rose-scented water and towels for hand washing.

This would have to be pretty small and expensive, but I think there
are enough folk that would find this groovy enough to pay the price.

If I were to carry this theme to a more traditional SCA feast I would
just have platters made with each dedicated to a different god. Combine
the first and second then the third and fourth courses into one course
and eliminate the wine. The dishes would also be far less expensive.

Still, I think it is a fun idea.

Gunthar