[Sca-cooks] Thoughts about a neat feast

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 16:37:08 PDT 2007

As for Gunthar's proposed feast, count me in! Sounds luxuriously -
erotically - delicious. And at $20 to $25, it is not at all expensive.

Our feasts are regularly around $15 (if it's just a feast, that's the
whole price - some events have a site fee for those who don't feast).

Then again, i live where $35 for a dinner is considered a moderate
price. Expensive is when it's $50 or more. This doesn't mean i eat
many $35 dinners. My consort and i have breakfast on Mondays (his day
off) in a local and fairly typical breakfast place (far from fancy)
and it costs about $10 for an omelet and a double cappuccino, not
counting tax (8.75% - yes, we locals actually vote to increase our
taxes) or tip.

So, $15 for an SCA feast of 4 or 5 courses with a half dozen dishes
in each course is an amazing bargain.

As for the time spent at a feast, we have the Principality of the
Mists Bardic Competition and Feast every September. One either pays
the site fee and doesn't eat, or one pays both the site fee and the
feast fee. The doors open at noon and the event tends to wrap up
around 8 PM, and sometimes later. In between each course of the feast
is a segment of the competition - it has 5 segments. There are also
people who perform who are not in the competition. I've cooked for
this a couple times.

We have other more ordinary feasts that start around 5 PM and end
around 10 PM (not all day - just 5 hours). Feasts vary but tend to
have 4 courses, sometimes more. Between courses there can be group
dancing, magic performances, choral singing, story telling, etc. Most
is impromptu. People also wander around and socialize.

When i read about feasts that sound like sprinting matches - each
course follows the other with hardly a break, and people get cranky
if there's more than 15 minutes between courses - i'm just amazed.
These people seem to want or expect a restaurant style dinner, not a
medieval dinner.

I guess i'm just spoiled here, but i love our long leisurely feasts.

BTW, I thought Hermes was the god of travelers, with his winged feet,
travelers hat, and cloak. IIRC, Apollo, brother of Artemis, is the
god of music, so you could work him into the feast, too.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita