[Sca-cooks] Yogurt

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 10:44:56 PDT 2007

Years before I discovered the SCA I had a Lebanese friend who had lived in Alexandria before coming to the US.  He stated that in [modern] Arabic, laban means yoghurt unless you are in Egypt, in which case laban means milk.  He also stated that the promised land was the land of yoghurt (not milk) and honey, and that the original translators had learned the Egyptian version of arabic (and gotten it wrong).  This was in casual conversation, and you may place what value you find appropriate on his words.

  Being a bit cautious, my interpretation of his words is that in Lebanon and Syria, and possibly other Arabic countries, laban means yoghurt.  Lebneh (I am writing it the way he said the word) is yoghurt cheese.

  Cordelia Toser

Elaine Koogler <kiridono at gmail.com> wrote:
  It would seem to me that the modern name, in Arabic, for yoghurt "cheese",
which is yoghurt that has been drained of its whey, is labineh...at least
according to one recipe I have....

Kiri