[Sca-cooks] mint water

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 3 13:03:59 PDT 2007

Since mint derives from Old German probably from the Latin, menta, I would
say that mint was definitely known in Europe in the Middle Ages.  There are
references to mint in Cato, Pliny and Martial.  It is also very likely that
the Legions brought mint to England.  Because of the relative strength of
flavor, peppermint would probably be used in medicines, while spearmint
would likely be used as a flavoring agent in salads, vegetable dishes and on
meats.

While I don't have any recipes to hand, to quote Jonh Gerard, "Mentha.
Mints.  Garden Mint taken in meat or drinke warmeth and strengtheneth the
stomacke... and causeth good digestion."

Bear