[Sca-cooks] Prohibition of the fork

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:26:49 PDT 2007

 Luis Alonso Luengo in his article: La gastronomía y el Paso Honroso de
Suero de Quiñones states that it was thought that the Bible prohibited
the conveyance of dead organic substance and live organic substance to
the mouth, by means of metal, such as a fork. In other words Christians
were was prohibited to meat, fowl and fish with fork but not fruit. As
Mohammad did not forbid it. Enrique Villena in Arte cisoria instructs
that the fruit fork was acceptable as it is not a dead organic
substance. Does know where there this is found in the Bible. I think
what is missing here is that metal was not allowed in the mouth but it
doesn't make sense because knifes were used to pick up food and carry to
the mouth.  For soups we have wooden spoons but metal spoons seem to
have come in early. As wooden spoons were ok why didn't they have wooden
forks? I think I am a bit tangled up here.
Suey