[Sca-cooks] New book on period Middle Eastern Cookery due out hopefully soon!

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 19:38:25 PDT 2007

>  Zaouali, Lilia, 1960-
>   Medieval cuisine of the Islamic world : a concise history with 174
>recipes / Lilia Zaouali ;
>  translated by M.B. DeBevoise ; foreword by Charles Perry.
>  Berkeley : University of California Press, 2007.
>  Projected Publication Date: 0709
>  ISBN: 9780520247833 (cloth : alk. paper)
>  Notes: "Translated from both the original French version and the
>published Italian edition of
>  the book"

Charles Perry was not thrilled about this book. He said it rather
jumps from al-Baghdadi to the 20th century without covering much in
between. And the author didn't seem to understand that the history of
what was in between was also significant.

I always welcome new books, but I would rather see it first before i
buy it, based on his reservations.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita