[Sca-cooks] Lemon syrup.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:13:14 PDT 2007

>It's sounds like a very learning experience!   I'd love the lemon
>syrup in a pipkin recipe!

It's very simple. Equal parts of lemon juice (I'm planning on trying
this with other fruits as well) with sugar. I used turbadino sugar
because I feel it may be a little closer to period and definately
tastes better. Cook and stir over fairly low heat until the desired
consistancy is achieved. Then mix the syrup with either hot or
cold water to taste.

>My frying pan is also small...I think they have  to be or
>they would crack (seen one do that) they also have to have even heat
>below..no
>hot spots.

There are larger frying pans out there and, if used correctly, work
very well. The main thing is to avoid hot and cold spots and to
change temps gradually.

>So..perhaps flat breads were done on griddles?   Perhaps just a
>flat piece of metal(hmm...shield?)   The frying pans  make great oat cakes!

Actually I was planning on cooking the bread on an iron griddle.
The pottery frying pan was going to cook Chicken and Leeks.

I've heard of soapstone griddles but have no experience in how
well they actually work. Hoecakes got their name from being cooked
on hoe blades or shovels.

>Etain

Yers,

Gunthar