[Sca-cooks] Pennsic?

V A phoenissa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:42:26 PDT 2007

I am going this year, and I expect my Pennsic will be very food-centric.
:-)  I decided (because I'm crazy or something) to take on the slightly
daunting project of creating a meal plan for the group I'm camping with, a
large one that's never had such a thing before.

We've already got over a dozen people signed up (which is excellent) for 5
breakfasts and 3 dinners during the second week of War.  I've put together a
few menus (all from period sources, naturally), and I plan to do as much
open-fire cooking as we have space/time for.  I also hope to do a little
pickling and preserving in July so we can have some non-perishable fruits
and veggies, and will be baking our almost-daily bread in camp as well.  All
in all, I'm pretty excited about it.  Since I'll be spending so much time in
the kitchen anyway, I'd love to know about any cooks' get-togethers. :-)

I also have a question for the most experienced Pennsic attendees on this
list (this will only be my second time there).  I'm sure there's been much
discussion about this in the past, but do people have recommendations for
good grocery shopping in that area?  Places with notably low prices, or bulk
foods, or organic foods, or local products, or interesting selections of
produce/cheeses/meats/beer/wine (yes, I know about the peculiarity of PA
liquor laws)?  I'm interested in hearing about people's favorite shopping
spots, whether for specialty or everyday ingredients.  As of right now all
I've heard is that there's a large supermarket within a few miles of site
(helpful) and a Wal-Mart or two (but I'd strongly prefer a more interesting
destination).  I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff in Pittsburgh proper,
but I would love to know about things closer to site...

It would be a great idea to have an online compendium of Pennsic
food-shopping info, if such a thing doesn't already exist. :-)

Vittoria