[Sca-cooks] Pennsic?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 16:44:39 PDT 2007

As Vittoria already knows, and as i posted to the Spit Cooking list,
i'll be cooking a dinner for the King and Queen of the West and their
guests one night of Pennsic Week 2, although i don't yet know which
night. Since Queen Kaaren has decided to do Persian this reign, i
offered to cook some period Middle Eastern food for her.

Vittoria, i'll send you the info i got from the Spit Cooking list...
Get thee behind me, Wal-Mart! (my feet will never set foot in one)

This is my first Pennsic and i'm registered for the Enchanted Ground,
and i am SOOOO clue-free about just about *anything* having to do
with Pennsic, other than bring clothing to get from 100 degrees F and
90 per cent humidity to nearly freezing, including hail storms,
thunder storms, wind storms, and i don't remember what all else. I
mean, i've read mass quantities of people's on-line Pennsic packing
lists and accounts of some extreme experiences, but i'm still
nervous/anxious/concerned, since i'll be driving out over 2,500 miles
alone - i'm not nervous about the driving - i generally enjoy driving
and i enjoy traveling - i'm just worried about arriving and
discovering i didn't bring something that i really need and/or i
brought a bunch of stuff i don't need.

I've made a basic packing list for myself... and i'm gonna begin
staging my Pennsic stuff in the living room after West Kingdom June
Crown in a week.

For example, i'm still trying to figure out if i need my feather bed
and my down quilt. If i'll be too hot and they'll get wrecked in the
rain, i'd rather leave them home. On the other hand, i am cold when
the temperature is below 75 F. On the third hand, i am discovering
that in my old age i'm not handling heat as well... or maybe i'm just
having some trouble when it gets over 85 because it's rarely that hot
for more than one or two days in a row - and it seem to take me a day
or two to adjust. On the fourth hand, we had a little heat recently
(up around 90) and i opened lots of windows, but rushed to close them
when i started to get cold because the temperature had dropped, i
discovered, to 78 (brrr)).

My land lady has graciously accepted to put my second row car seats
and the third row bench seat into her garage (i'm in the second floor
flat, so i don't have driveway or garage access) so i'll have a lot
more room in my van. I'm guessing i don't need to bring a whole lot
more than i usually take to a West Kingdom weekend event (where the
weather can range from sunny and almost 100 during mid-day to foggy
and 40 at night), except more clothing and a clean dry set in the car
for the last day - i usually drive to and from events in garb out
here. But i'm taking the seats out because i figure i need room for
all the booty i'm planning to buy... You mean, there's a War going
on, too? I thought it was a Medieval shopping event!

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita