[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers, barquillos and nieules

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:16:57 PDT 2007

In reference to my queries and Adamtius' replies in messages vols 14
Issue 29 and 14 Issue 30 I am very grateful for all his replies although
I think I am becoming more confused every day but I am working to try to
sort my mind out if that is possible. In particular I am grateful for
pointing out to me pay attention to the Harleian 279 recipe which I
brushed over until now.
    Now talking about "barquillos" and wondering how to translate the
item. A recipe for them is:
Ingredients:
15 g butter
2 egg whites
50 g butter
50 g flour
100 g powdered sugar
2 o 3 g vanilla

Preparation:
Heat the oven and grease the cookie sheets with melted butter. Put the
egg whites in a bowl, add the sugar and beat until the mixture is spongy
but not stiff.
    Melt 50 g butter, sift the flour, mix these ingredients and slowly
add the egg whites and  the vanilla.
    Place the bater on the cookie sheets with a tablespoon distributing
it in rectangles. Heat 7 to 8  minutes until  toasted.
    Let it sit 2 or 3 seconds. Very carefully remove them from the sheet
with a sharp knife or a thin spatula to prevent breaking. Put the
rectangles on a smooth surface. Place a pencil at one end of a rectangle
lengthwise and roll the rectangle around the pencil making it look like
a cigarette. Place it on a rack to cool.
    (By the way the recipe is the same as that for thin almond cookies,
"tejas" in Spanish, "tuelle" in  French with the addition of chopped
almonds. They are not rolled with a pencil but pressed around the knee
of the baker which explains why different batches have different degrees
of roundness in different bakeries.)
    The point is what would be the proper name for barquillos in English?
     Now a Spaniard just reminded me that in church we are given
'ostias' during communion and we eat ostias or barquillos in the home
with ice cream in particular today which are store bought and most
popularly known as barquillos. What are wafers in Spanish she queried? I
just looked it up they are: barquillos or ostias as per my Cassell's
bilingual dictionary! Neither obleys nor ostias appear in that dictionary.
    A Spanish recipe for ostias consists of one kilo of flour mixed with
lots of water to make a very runny batter. Drop one tablespoon on the
iron and press until toasted. Now why doesn't the church make wafers
like that? Oops now you caught again. I can't say wafers anymore without
abusing the Queen's English?
    (Now just to add confusion to all this in Nola's original Castellan
translation we have a recipe for Ostias with an accent on the i. Lady
Brighid translates that as oysters. Iranzo in her modern translation
into Castellan is more definite in her index saying ostias from the sea.
Dog gone it I was so excited when I saw the word ostias.)
    Now you quote from The Larousse Gastronomique:

> . . .night and day the apprentices would set out laden with their
> > panniers full of nieules  (round flat  cakes), ?chaud?s (a sort of
> > brioche). oublies, and other small cakes, crying "Voila le plaisir,
> > mesdames!

Now I think we are cooking Sent Sovi and Nola use the words neules,
nelles in their recipes which I have been calling wafers as per Lady
Brighid in her translation of Nola's recipe:  91. MARZIPANS FOR INVALIDS
WHO HAVE LOST THE DESIRE TO EAT, VERY GOOD AND OF GREAT SUSTENENCE which
I also translate as wafers. Did we mess up that translation too? Is
there a word for nieules in English?
    The article I read in which obleys and wafers are mentioned is in
Crown Touney Feast, www.ostgardr.org/cooking/crown.xxxiiihtml
    Did you did not write that? It appears to be so Master?
Suey