[Sca-cooks] Indian dinner at Pennsic?

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jun 18 21:03:03 PDT 2007

> >Hi Cariadoc?
>>
> >Are you not familiar with the Nimatnama?
>
>Haven't seen it. Sounds interesting. How much of
>a cookbook is it--in terms of number of recipes
>and information?
>
>On Amazon it's very expensive. I'll have to check
>if my school's library has it.

There are about 100 pages of translated recipes for food, drink, perfume and medicine.  There are quite a few redundancies, and some omissions, but its a great resource.  My only problem is that I wish they gave the untranslated word for some of the dishes and ingredients.  Does it REALLY say "samosa" or is that a translation?  It includes a reproduction of the original, so one could transcribe it oneself.  There is a black and white reproduction of the whole book, and the many illustrations are reproduced in color.  It's expensive, but its a great book.  It is available from ILL, if you want to see it before you purchase.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/1400_1499/mandu/nimatnama/nimatnama.html

Ranvaig