[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers etc

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 19 05:16:08 PDT 2007

Suey wrote:
> . . que ha de comer el senor gobernador ahora, para conservar su
>salud y corroborarla, es un ciento de cautillos de suplicaciones y unas
>tajadicas subtiles de carne de membrillo, que le asienten el estomago y
>le ayuden a la digesti?n. . .
>
>. . .what his worship the governor should eat now to preserve and
>strength his health and are obleys and some slices of quince that will
>sooth his stomach and help his digestion. . . .
>
>They also appear on the menu of the meal Philip II gave to to the
>Portuguese in 1580. My understanding is the term "suplicaciones" is
>obsolete today but that they bent (another meaning of plegar) or rolled,
>i.e. barquillos today.

The Velazquez dictionary gives "rolled waffle" as one of the meanings of
"suplicacio'n" - if this will add to the confusion!  No listing for
"cautillo".  The "-illo" ending sometimes makes a diminuitive.  Out of
curiosity, who translated "un ciento de cautillos de suplicaciones" as
"obleys"?  What happened to "ciento" which means either "hundred" or "one
hundredth"?  (I suspect it is the latter??)

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/