[Sca-cooks] Medieval Chili

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:34:22 PDT 2007

--On Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:29 AM -0500 Vitaliano Vincenzi
<vitaliano at shanelambert.com> wrote:

> Well, I did say that it wasn't period, however, some of the ingredients
> were used in period, but probably not THAT recipe. Your response (and
> blog comment) have given me some great ideas. I have made chili with
> chunks of beef or pork instead of ground meat, so I could certainly do
> that. I thought it would be fun to use chili peppers, period or not, but
> now that I think about it, all those people full of chili peppers
> camping so close together, hmm, probably not a good idea. :)

Missed the originally proposed recipe -- but period for who and for where?
Fava beans are not going to be period for Mexico around the time of the
conquestadors, and chili is (by its name) a new world dish. Chili, on the
other hand, is going to be period for Mexico around that time.

toodles, gretchen