[Sca-cooks] All day feasting

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 16:52:53 PDT 2007

HL Elisabeth de Calais asked:
<<<  A group in our area has a very "relaxed" event that allows for
an "all day feast" situation.  I was wondering if any of you have
experienced something such as this, what your feelings were about it,
etc.  >>>

As others have mentioned this sort of feast seems to work better when
it is coordinated with other events, such that the other events are
between the courses and not in competition with them. This idea of a
large feast over a long period interspersed with entertainment is a
very period concept.

Looking through the FEASTS section of the Florilegium I see a couple
of files which might be of interest to you:
Good-Fd-Feast-art (26K)  3/30/98    Description of a fancy feast done
in Lochac.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Good-Fd-Feast-art.html
( I have forgotten how long this feast was dispersed over, but if not
a complete day, you might at least find some of the things they did
of interest to you in planning your feast)

Just-a-Feast-art  (32K) 11/ 2/03    “Just a Feast” by Lady Katherine
Rowberd. An
                                        SCA event organised around
just a feast.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Just-a-Feast-art.html
Medievl-Feasts-art (16K)  2/24/05    "The Medieval Feast - An Event,
Not Food"
                                        by Mistress Willow de Wisp.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Medievl-Feasts-art.html
Tavern-Feast-art  (14K)  1/13/99    An all-day tavern-style feast.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Tavern-Feast-art.html

These should also give your officers some assurance that such events
have been held successfully in the SCA before. There may be other
examples in this same section, but if there are I didn't highlight
them this way. Using the search engine on the site might turn up
others, or perhaps other useful ideas that have been done before.

Another way, although not as period, might be to do this as an
extended length dayboard.

dayboards-msg     (58K)  5/21/06    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/dayboards-msg.html
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Daybrd-Advent-art.html
Rus-Vik-daybd-art (10K) 11/27/05    A Russian/Viking dayboard done by
Mistress
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Rus-Vik-daybd-art.html

I hope this helps.