[Sca-cooks] Yogurt

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 15:37:24 PDT 2007

I have one Bible in my house and it is the Revised Standard Version.  In Genesis 18:8 "curds and milk" are referenced.  The question for me is whether this is accurately translated from the original language.

  I have one Bible in my house and it is the Revised Standard Version.  The Revised Standard Version (RSV) (1952 for the Old Testament) is a revision of the American Standard Version (1901) , which was a revision of the King James version (1611).  The King James version was based on 6 different translations in the 1500's, including William Tyndale's.  The King James version has grave and serious defects, according to the preface to the RSV.

  We also need to keep in mind that there were many Hebrew and Aramaic texts (which were hand copied numerous times and becase of this subject to scribal error)  that were examined in the process of creating some translations.  If a translation of the Bible to English were based on a Bible in Latin or German or possibly another language, this gives yet another possibility of inaccurate translation.

  I am not in the position of stating categorically that milk is the correct translation, nor that it is incorrect.  I simply don't know the answer nor am I sure it would be reasonably possible to get the answer, as the original manuscripts are probably dust by now.

  Cordelia Toser

Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
  Carole Smith wrote:
> . . . He also stated that the promised land was the land of yoghurt (not milk) and honey, and that the original translators had learned the Egyptian version of arabic (and gotten it wrong). . .
How about Genesis 18:1-15? Picked a clip up on Internet that Abraham did
not serve curds or curds and whey but yogurt and milk to the three
strangers in the hospitality message. What does your Bible say? This of
course takes us back to Miss Muffitt. Did she eat cottage cheese,
custard or yogurt? When did yogurt get to England by the way? Was it
before Dr. Thomas Muffitt, Mary Queen of Scots or later? When did yogurt
in English take on the Turkish name?
Susan