[Sca-cooks] Mint Water

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 17:19:27 PDT 2007

Terry Decker wrote:
> Since mint derives from Old German probably from the Latin, menta, . . .likely that
> the Legions brought mint to England.

My earliest reference to mint is in the Bible: Luke 11:42 "But woe to
you Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and every herb, but you bypass
justice and the love of God."  As it is so commonly recorded,
henceforth, not only by Pliny and Apicius but elsewhere I would hesitate
to state that the Romans took it anywhere. I think it was just there
throughout Europe.
>> Stefan asks:
>>

>> 2) If mint was used in medieval European dishes, how was it generally
>> used? As decorative sprigs? Or added as the above mint water? Or
>> added along with a mix of other fresh herbs?

As insinuated by Sue Clemenger the 13th C. Hispano-Arab manuscript calls
for mint for coloring and flavor. Pat Griffin explains that it is
included in Forme of Cury. Sent Sovi and Nola use mint as common fare
for flavoring dishes and sauces as I suppose all the other fundamental
European cookery publications from the Middle Ages. Mint water is
recorded the 13th C MSS mixed with coriander seed and cilantro. I have
no proof but I am inclined to think that mint juice was a popular
refreshing medieval non-alcoholic drink in Andalusia at least as it is
in Saudi Arabia today. This goes without mentioning medicinal uses.
Suey