[Sca-cooks] All day feasting

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 13:37:01 PDT 2007

In a message dated 6/24/2007 7:21:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hlecalais at sbcglobal.net writes:

<<A group in our area has a very "relaxed" event that allows for  an "all day
feast" situation.  I was wondering if any of you have  experienced something
such as this, what your feelings were about it, etc.   The landed nobles have
indicated that they would want me to start with a  "brunch" type course and
end with a late evening "snack".  Their  Excellencies want those feasting, to be
notified (by herald) of each course and  then be excused after said course,
to dance, participate in bardic, nap  etc.  I am VERY excited to do this but I
always want expert input,  LOL!  Any and all comments would be appreciated!>>

I did this once for a 12th Night my shire ran, and was also in attendance  at
another 12th Night where this was done.  Mine went well, the other had  some
major issues, and I learned a lot from comparing the two.
In the feast I did, we were basically all in one room, and I served a new
course of 2-3 dishes every 2 hours or so; the kitchen was adequate and the
equipment in good shape and I had enough help.  I think having everyone  nearby
helped because everyone saw when each course came out; also because there
weren't any major scheduled activities such as courts or performances, so people
were free to stop what they were doing to eat.
At the 12th Night I attended where this was done, it was a much larger site
with several rooms, so people in one room were not always aware that more food
 had been served, and consequently didn't get all the courses.  Some of it
was also served during other activities such as courts, so people didn't feel
free to leave to eat even if they knew the food had been served.  There  were
also, as I understand, significant issues with ovens that didn't work which
led to difficulties getting out the quantities of foods needed.

The things I learned were:
1. Keep everyone close by or, as you are planning, have the courses  heralded
so that people know more food has been put out.
2.Work with the person scheduling activities to make sure that you are not
trying to serve a course when some other high priority activity or such is
going  on.
3. Try to make sure the kitchen equipment works beforehand, and check it  all
when you arrive in the morning, so that you can rearrange courses if need
be, or make other arrangements, early in the day.

If you are serving lots of courses, keep the serving portions  small.
Consider having servers to dole out the correct amount and  keep people from gorging
early in the day and being too full to eat later  courses, or taking more
than their share so that others don't get any.

Brangwayna Morgan