[Sca-cooks] OOP Convection vs True Bake question

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:57:23 PDT 2007

Stefan wrote:
> "You can find convection ovens with electric, natural gas, and propane
> heat sources.  All of them use electricity to run the blower motors.

    Food for thought. Here in Chile our lone gas supplier is Argentina.
Now as it is winter and they are having a severe one plus one of their
plants is down which is our principal supplier we are rationing our
heat.  Fuel for the car has risen from $2.28 to $2.64 in a matter of
weeks. We wonder how much we will have gas. Also it seems that
electricity here is produced thanks to gas around here. I maybe wrong
here but the other night we had a black out. What do I know?
    When in Israel my companion explained that the heat their homes and
their water with solar tubes on their roofs. Its been a requirement
there for builders since heaven knows when but lots and lots of years.
She explained that that makes their homes more expensive to begin with
but monthly bills compensate that.
    When I relate that to Chileans they say , 'when are we going to wake
up and take prevention measures because we are going to run out of gas
sooner than we think here?'
    Is electricity produced thanks to gas?
    Thinking that a stove can last for 30 years or more. Do we want gas,
electricity or what?
    We are a long cry from my grandmother from New Haven, Ct. She had
four stoves between her kitchen and back porch: gas, electric, coal and
wood - with special types of wood for each food product to be cooked or
roasted there. Shame to the cook who did not know which was to be cooked
on each stove and with what type of wood! Grandmama was a gourmet. One
mistake and cook was fired. Mind you Grandmama kept a staff of nine
between cook and her chauffeur (it was above her ladyship to drive
herself)! Mom had one stove, felt lucky to have a cleaning woman once a
week and drove to all 48 states of the union to know them all! Obviously
she had to take a plane to the other two.
Suey