[Sca-cooks] Yogurt

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:38:52 PDT 2007

The Spaniards proudly claim the Persians brought yogurt to Spain which
is perfectly logical but when translating the recipes from laban into
Spanish they say leche not yogur. I have reviewed all my stuff and took
a good gander at the below as well. All I can find are two references
Perry makes in the Anon. translation to laban but does not specify if
the recipes he is talking about could have been made with yogurt or
milk. In Medieval Arab Cookery he indicates that laban can be either
milk or yogurt but most likely yogurt. Can I say it is possible that the
recipes in which he cites laban could have been made with yogurt?
Further taking into account yogurt was used in Persian sauces, eggplant
dishes and stews I would think yogurt could appear in many of the Anon
recipes instead of milk but can I state that?

Food Timeline <http://www.foodtimeline.org/index.html> history notes:
muffins to yogurt. _http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq2.html#yogurt_
Stefan's dairyk-prod-msg – 1/23/05
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/dairy-prod-msg.html
Perry's remarks on yogurt in _Medieval A__r__ab Cookery._ Trowbridge,
Wiltshire: Prospect Books. 2001
And Perry's translation of _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
Century:__
__http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_footnotes.htm_
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian3.ht
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm