[Sca-cooks] OP: stir fry question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jun 7 08:03:10 PDT 2007

We get Wegman's Menu magazine at home, presumably because it's food
pictures and it's free, though if you want to actually use any of the
recipes, you have to guess what they put in the "Food You Feel Good
About" allegedly-fresh packages that they encorporate into every recipe.

My roomate who does the cooking is just beginning to do stir-frying, so
I was interested to see a bunch of stir-fry recipes in the issue
currently living in our bathroom.

However, I was shocked to see that the recipes recommended blanching the
stir-fry veggies before stir-frying. My mom learned to stir-fry from one
of those half-size wok cookbooks in the 1970s and she taught me, so what
do I know? Still, I've never blanched a stirfry veg in my life.

Is this really common practice, or is this some wierd survival of the
1950s pre-blanching of everything by trained chefs that Elizabeth David
complains about in _An Omlette and a Glass of Wine_?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net