[Sca-cooks] Beverage Service at Feasts

Michelle LR melbrigda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:03:02 PDT 2007

I need a little help in figuring out beverage service at feasts.  In
Meridies it seems the tradition is to have children serve beverages.  I like
this idea in that it provides a way for children to be involved in feast,
feel like they have an important part in the feast (and they do), and keeps
restless chldren from being fidgety during what could be a long feast.  Oh
and it frees up adults to do other things.  :)  What I dislike is that the
children seem to have no training other than, "Take this water/tea/lemonade
pitcher from table to table and ask people if they want drinks.  I find this
a bit annoying as I am continually being asked "Do you want water?  Do you
want sweet tea (it's a Southern Thang)?  Do you want unsweet tea?  Do you
want Lemonade?"  Sometimes different children making a streaming line past
the table and sometimes one child coming to the table offering each beverage
every 2-3 minutes.  Sometimes they say, "Excuse me" before asking and
sometimes they just ask.   I find this very tiring, especially since I
generally don't need a refill and none of my table mates needs beverages
either, yet we each get asked...... often.

Has anyone come up with a good way to handle beverages so that the people
are served, but not harassed and not neglected?

--
Mel.
The Honorable Lady Melbrigða Leifsdottir