[Sca-cooks] peerage vigil spreads?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:45:14 PST 2007

In Atlantia, it almost always happens...even at Pennsic.  In fact, I'm in
the midst of planning two for our event this coming weekend.  Actually, one
is a reception for a gentle who already is a Laurel, Knight and Viscount.
Usually, when the person is getting a peerage, especially one that's not a
Laurel, the food is finger food, a combination of some period, some modern.
In the case of a Laurel, especially a cooking Laurel, there's an effort to
supply period finger foods.  Often we'll try to cook one or more dishes that
the candidate is known for...like with Master Tirloch, we did his Hungarian
Chicken (thanks, Gwencat!!).

The reception this weekend is for Sir Tojenareum Grenville of Devon (Sir
TJ), who will be given his Pelican.  The majority of his service in Atlantia
is in cooking...he was my mentor when I started...but his Laurel is for
leatherworking!  So...we're doing some of the stuff we normally do for a
cooking Laurel...and, as he pretty much introduced Savory Toasted Cheese to
Atlantia, we're serving that, using the wonderful period chafing dish that
Master Hroar made.  Also, instead of presenting him with a cloak, which he'd
probably never wear, I'm painting him an apron with his arms, laurel wreath
and pelican achievement on it.

Kiri