[Sca-cooks] need names of cookie like objects

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:17:20 PST 2007

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/florio/

Here's a link to Florio's 1611 Italian dictionary....maybe you can find
something useful?

Butasaro, a rich pudding....
there's a type of cookie called spumetti, but I don't know if they're
period...ditto peseta, taralli,gianduia (possibly from the old word
ghiandaia?), of course biscotti, anginetti, pignoli, strufoli (the word
appears in florio as struffoli -- a kind of tarte, custard, egg-py, doucet
or flaune), pizzelles, florentines, torta fregolotti.

I think calisoni were some kind of comfit...a synonym for marzipan, if you
can believe this page of period italian recipes:
http://heroofthechalice.googlepages.com/menu ...it's mentioned in Florio's
dictionary of 1611.....

they also mention "nucato," honey nut brittle, as being period...

Remember, everything's poetic in Italian and French. :)

of course, there are also other interesting words for names, depending on
the nature of the horse (these are from Florio; the meanings may have
changed in some cases); Sciagurato, mischievous; Semplice, meaning simple,
incurious, pure, honest, shallow, slight; Sevo, fierce, moody; Sprazzo, fury
or rage; Pessimo, extremely naughty; Tacito, silent; Tapino, a wandering
beggar, miserable; Tarabara, helter-skelter; Tattamellino, a spoiled brat;
Gabba, a jest; Fumoso, hasty or smoky; Fuoccone, a great fire; Gallante,
gallant or brave; Gaio, gay, blithe, joyous; Gaiezza, mirth, jollity, glee

Dunno if any of this helps.

Ian of Oertha