[Sca-cooks] Cofyns

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 4 19:57:19 PST 2007

Coffin, in any of its various spellings, is usually a reference to a
container; a basket, a box, a chest or a pie shell.  There are some more
obscure meanings, but let's stick with the container.  The word in this
usage appears from at least the early 15th Century into the 18th Century.
In most references, they are talking about a pastry pie shell, but Hugh Plat
makes reference to "coffins of white plate" in Delights for Ladies.

Coffins range from a hard paste of flour and water to Elizabethean pie
shells that are apparently meant to be eaten.  According to the OED, there
is a reference to coffins from "1420 Cookery Bk." that reads, "make fayre
past of flowre & water, Sugre, & Safroun & Salt; & then make fayre, round
cofyns thereof." (substituting "th" for the Middle English thorn symbol).
In this case, the addition of sugar makes me think this coffin was meant to
be eaten.  From the 1420 date, the source is probably Harleian 279.

IIRC, the earliest addition of fat to a pie shell recipe, which would
improve the edibility, is mid-15th Century.

Bear