[Sca-cooks] capsicums

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:19:31 PST 2007

That is exactly it...there is a difference between heat and flavor. Everyone
has a different tolerance level at which flavor gives way to heat. When my
family makes salsa using the "secret family recipe", I like the flavor of
the fresh jalapenos and other peppers...but not to the point where all I get
is heat. My heat tolerance is a lot lower than my dad's or my uncle's...but
it is much higher than the average person.

I think the quote about the baby boomers is interesting. My experience with
"older" folks (no offense to anyone out there...I'm referring to my
grandparents and their siblings) is that they either go to one extreme or
another. My maternal grandfather (West Virginia) would not eat anything with
seasonings. He ate the same thing every day - a broiled unseasoned hamburger
patty, mashed potato (instant), and a salad with mayo on it. If my
grandmother tried to put any seasoning in anything, he wouldn't eat it. On
the other hand, my maternal grandmother (Polish from Chicago) would spice
things up to the point where it was almost unedible to us kids. She said it
was the only way she could taste it. I've noticed with the next generation
of family members that the spicing is increasing over the years...toss in an
extra jalapeno, a little more cayenne, an extra dash of this and a spoonful
of that.

Another thing...I saw an article about food tourism recently. I didn't read
the whole thing but it was about the tours centered around cooking schools
and restaurant tours. Now...going way off topic here...it seems to me that
our society has progressed so far beyond the basic heirarchy of needs (food,
shelter, safety) that we are pushing the extremes in every direction -
sports, housing (McMansions), etc. Food and seasoning is just an offshoot of
this. The next food trend - Extreme spicing!

Just some random thoughts as I finish my coffee,
Ysabeau