[Sca-cooks] New to this list - Need help with a medieval wedding

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 14:21:52 PDT 2007

Greetings Jennifer,

Like others have said, anyone with an interest in food before 1600 is
welcome here.

Will you be able to serve hot food, or will your food need to all be
cold?  Will you have ice so the cold things are truly cold? Will you
have one basket per person or couple, or one set of baskets for a
larger group to share?

Will it all need to be done ahead of time, or will there be someone
for last minute prep? Are there tables or will everyone be sitting on
the ground? When will this be, what will the weather be like?  How
many people will you serve?  What kind of budget?

What period is the the theme?  What country?  It is probably best to
start with a specific time and place.

Here is a article that might be useful  A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket
by Phil Troy (who is on this list, if you have questions)
http://www.ostgardr.org/cooking/ppb.html
a picnic of sausage, cheese, oatcakes, quince preserves, and compot
(a kind of relish).

Also small pies or pasties, which could be served warm or cold.
Individual servings might be easier to serve. You could make several
kinds and shape or decorate them differently.
Cold chicken, ham or other cold meat, venison or other game if available.
Mustard or other sauces, fresh fruit, fresh bread,
a salat with fresh herbs and maybe some edible flowers.

Another thing to search for is "dayboard" which is a lunch served
buffet style. Many of these foods would be suitable for a picnic.
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/thimble1.html
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Daybrd-Advent-art.html

Here is a list of many feasts that  people have served
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/idxfeasts.html

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASnovfeast.htm has nice pictures of
some individual sweet pastries and confits of various types.
Sugarpaste is period, and can be used to make flowers or other edible
decorations and even small dishes.

Good luck, please be sure to share the menu you settle on, and tell
us how it goes.
Ranvaig