[Sca-cooks] Camp cooking experiment a success

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:22:03 PDT 2007

Here is the response I got from Claire...this is really yummy!:
-----------------------------------
 Well it is really easy.

Cubed ham.
Cubed chicken.
Cubed Blue cheese.

Put into a pie pan, cover with carrot biscuit topping and bake.

Cool, then freeze, then vaccumm seal.

Heat and eat.

The chicken in simple. Take breasts and thighs, boneless and skinless,
sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic poweder. Bake in a dish until done.
Then cool and cut into cubes.

The biscuit topping:

2 Cups flour
1 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 1/3 Cups milk
2 Tbs. Butter, melted

In a bowl stir together 2 cups flour, 1 cup coarsely  shredded carrot, 2
tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir in
1 1/3 cups milk and 2 tablespoons melted butter until combined.

We just drop spoons of it on top of the pie, then bake the pie until the
topping is done, at 400 degrees about 25 minutes.

Here is the original recipe that I got the topping from. I forgot where I
found it. We freeze and bag it the same way.

I often add some white sherry or white wine in the sauce and sometimes
mushrooms and often a little flour to thicken it up.

*Chicken Cobbler*

Prep: 15 minutes Bake: 45 minutes
Source Better Homes and Gardens, April 2002

6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (3 oz each)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas
2 Tbs. Butter, melted
½ Cup chopped Vidalia, Maui or other sweet onion
1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp snipped fresh Tarragon or ¼ tsp dried Tarragon, crushed
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Recipe Carrot Cobbler Topping

1. Preheat oven to 40 o F. Arrange chicken in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is no
longer pink and all juices run clear; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the fresh peas, if using in a small amount of boiling
salted water for 2 minutes; drain.
3. For the sauce, in a saucepan combine melted butter and chopped onion.
Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir
in peas, flour, and tarragon. Add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir
over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cover and keep warm while
preparing cobbler topping.
4. Prepare the Carrot Cobbler Topping. Place a baked chicken thigh in each
of six individual ungreased 10-ounce ramekins, custard cups, or baking
dishes. Pour warm sauce over the chicken. Dollop topping over sauce. Place
dishes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is
golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of topping comes
out clean. Makes 6 servings.

Carrot Cobbler Topping

2 Cups flour
1 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 1/3 Cups milk
2 Tbs. Butter, melted

In a bowl stir together 2 cups flour, 1 cup coarsely  shredded carrot, 2
tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir in
1 1/3 cups milk and 2 tablespoons melted butter until combined.

Nutrition facts per serving: 425 cal.; 13 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 85 mg
chol., 943 mg sodium, 48 g carbo., 4 g fiber, and 28 g pro. Daily Values:
115%  vit. A, 11% vit. C, 22% calcium, and 19% iron.