[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 11, Issue 69/ Fertile Eggs...

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 21:06:11 PDT 2007

Fertilized eggs...
  Well my guess is that unless one paid close attention to your own hens/ yard activity, you might not KNOW which eggs were fertile or not...so the wine might be a precaution or a 'what if' you break the egg and find a beginning
  embryo...it might make for a slightly richer flavor as the proteins began forming the chick....???
  My bet is a way out for a sloppy housewife, or one who buys her eggs at the market instead of minding her owh
  hens like she should....UMPH!! lol.....

  Johann, who has two broodies and an incubator going...one of my apprentices is trying out Cato and
  Columella's Egyptian wood fired incubator....using a modern thermometer, he is going to try to keep it at
  exactly 100F and 90% humidity using his hand and a feather duster dipped in water several times a day...
  GOOD LUCK!! I'm having him use Leghorn and Rock eggs....no great loss IF(when) they fail to hatch.... but
  wow...if he gets anything the first time OOOBAH!!!,  we will candle the eggs open once a day to monitor progress
  we may sacrifice an egg or two along the way to crack open and see progress as well...

  Message: 2