[Sca-cooks] ANCIENT AND PERIOD RECIPES LINK

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 26 13:28:10 PDT 2007

If I might be so bold, the modern adaptations of frumenty are actually wheat
polenta (the word first being used in English around 1000 CE).  Frumenty is
made from whole grain, while polenta is made from crushed grain or meal.
The use of bulgar or cracked wheat is a cheat to expedite the cooking and
does not produce the "frogs egg" effect of frumenty.

Frumenty mostly refers to whole, hulled wheat grains.  Polenta initially was
applied to barley, both whole and crushed, but was being commonly used to
describe any boiled grain meal by the time of Apicius.  Porridge primarily
referred to a dish of oatmeal, but was also used to describe other cooked
grain meals.  I suspect the definitions became more generalized over time.

It might be interesting to compare the various recipes and word usages over
time.

Bear