[Sca-cooks] herb seasoning question

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 1 00:07:28 PST 2007

Nick Sasso wrote:
> I am guessing that compared to a fresh fish, even the mildest lamb would
> score higher on the "gamey chart".  You get into some good, aged and worked
> mutton, and you get some good lod fashioned stong flavor out there.  At
> least in the US, where feeds and ranching techniques may be different.  The
> US lamb we get sometimes is a good bit 'less delicate' than one would expect
> from something called lamb . . . could be a few months older than some
> others, and again feed makes a difference.

Don't know.  The lamb and mutton we get here is pretty much free-range.
Somebody told me that U.S. lamb was a little older than what we tend to
eat here, but I don't know if that's true or not.  Of course, I really
prefer hogget (ie, sheep that has passed its first birthday but not its
second) to lamb anyway-- it's got a lot more flavour without losing a
lot of tenderness.  I wouldn't call it "gamey" though-- just meaty.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?