[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...food questions

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 1 14:41:32 PST 2007

K C Francis wrote:

> Please understand that around here, the cooks ASK for people to
> contact them about food allergies/special dietry requirements.  They
> answer questions so people can make the decision about attenting at
> all and on a case by case basis may be able to add a veggie dish
> because of the number of vegetarians, etc.  And yes, there are people
> who just show up and eat what they can.
>
> I brought a young man to several feasts who didn't eat dairy or
> gluten.  The menues had ingredients so we were safe on what to choose
> for him and I made sure he got lots of the dishes he could eat.
> Everyone was happy.

I'd find that extremely aggravating, since it might mean taking
someone's money and having very little to offer them when a line or two
of email would be enough to let me make alternate arrangements.  (Of
course, we don't have people "just showing up", and it's much easier to
get everyone's dietary issues sorted when everyone has to contact the
steward anyway.)

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,