[Sca-cooks] Doing my best

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 2 20:47:05 PST 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 10:27 PM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> I started researching German food because of
> Atlas' translation was available online. Is it
> better to have somewhat faulty information, or no
> information at all?  Cariadoc said "The best
> should not become the enemy of the good".
>
> This struck home because I am attempting to do my
> own translation of Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch. In
> spite of care, it is no doubt peppered with
> mistakes.
>
> If a "best" translation of Rumpolt was available,
> I'd love to be using it.  I hope someone
> publishes a better translation than my beginner's
> attempt
>
> If I share my translations, and make something
> available, that was not readily available before,
> does that mean I am "spreading false information"?

Well, that depends. Anybody can make a mistake. What matters is
whether you respond to a well-intended correction in a manner that
indicates you're interested in a good piece of work over bolstering
your own ego. I've had experiences with SCAdians who've done
translations based on guesswork and a dictionary for a language they
don't really speak or understand fluently, when a correction was
offered in good faith by someone who speaks the language fluently
_and_ has access to dictionaries. The difference is that foundation
which serves as a "hook" on which to hang the dictionary work.

Alia Atlas (who was once active in the East Kingdom), from my own
experience , never actively resisted corrections, but her work got so
widely distributed, and so quickly, that it became difficult to hunt
down various incarnations and make sure corrections were applied. I
have a friend who was in the room when Caterina read Adamson's
comments, and she was utterly devastated, another casualty of a
brilliant academic whose skillset apparently doesn't include enough
tact to encourage someone for the greater good and for the sake of
the spread of enlightenment every academic is supposedly dedicated to.

Most everything Adamson said was true. Her remarks also read to me as
childish, arrogant, and designed to discourage "amateur" scholarship
from people without proper academic credentials. There's some
question whether Adamson would ever have gotten off her butt and done
her own edition of Ein Buoch von Guter Spise had Atlas not produced
her flawed version.

> Is it wrong to do the best job you can, on something that no one
> else has done?

No, not at all. See above. Being afraid to speak, or to have an
opinion, because someone else may have an opinion better informed
than, or in disagreement with, yours, is when learning comes to a
crashing halt.

Hey, I make idiotic statements all the time. I enjoy it. It's like
serving the ball in a tennis match. Come back to me with something
better. If you can, we all win. If not, same difference. It's when
people can't or won't speak because they're afraid of being thought
stupid, is when we all get a little stupid.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04