[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate and Onion Juice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 3 21:18:56 PST 2007

I decided to bake wafers for our barony's Land Court/mini-revel this
evening. Since I've baked wafers before, but usually use the same
redaction, I decided I would try a different one this time and chose
the one by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, which was posted to this list. In
her message giving her recipe, in the Florilegium wafers-msg file,
she gives her basic recipe and then has you add your choice of
flavors to this. Since I didn't have the orange flavoring I wanted, I
went looking for it at my local HEB grocery.

While there I found a pair of items that reminded me of recent
conversations here, so I bought them and here are the details.

1) Pomegranate Juice. This must be becoming more available as a
"health food". This time I found a bottle in the specialty juice
section. R. W. Knudsen. "Just Pomegranate". 100% juice. It was in a
32 oz. jar which is much larger than I've seen previously of this
juice. Unfortunately, it wasn't cheap at over $7. But it wasn't a
syrup nor have anything in it but pomegranate juice, unlike some of
the other pomegranate items we've discussed before.

2) Onion Juice. We recently talked about onion juice and it appeared
that at least of these, McCormick (sp?) which is the one I thought I
had from years ago but couldn't find was no longer being made.
Howard's Onion Juice. 2 fl. oz. (60mL). Ingredients: Onion Juice,
Vinegar, Salt. "1 teaspoon  = 1/2 medium onion". The label appears to
be in French and English, but I don't know if that is because it is
produced in France for Howard's or not.

I ended up making orange-cinnamon wafers, although I guess I may not
have added enough flavorings (a little over 2 teaspoons total, I
think). So next time I might add a bit more. I'd also baked the first
pair of wafers before I realized I'd forgotten to add the melted
butter to the batter. Oops. I'd forgotten it in the microwave where
I'd put it to melt it). Luckily the first, butter-less wafers still
separated from the wafer iron okay. It also thinned the batter some,
which was fairly thick even after I added some milk. Next time I add
more milk to thin it out more, which will make it easier to get equal
sized wafers.

The wafers seemed to go over well. I only brought home a few from the
20-30 I made.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas