[Sca-cooks] Orange flavored wafers ( was RE: Pomegranate and Onion Juice)

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 4 14:32:21 PST 2007

The recipe actually says "You can also use fresh orange or lemon zest
and fresh orange or lemon juice."
It's a recipe that one can tinker with. A number of the original wafer
recipes, especially the Italian ones, are very vague in their measurements.
Mistress Helewyse translated one of Scappi's wafer recipes
It reads in translation
_To make wafers with crumb of bread and sugar_.
Take crumb of bread and let it moisten in cold water and strain it
through a sieve. Make a paste of it and wheat flour, rosewater and sugar
and simple water and fresh egg yolks. Because otherwise you won’t be
able to make wafers make the paste liquid and firm. When you have the
irons add a little malmsey wine, and make the wafers.
If you want it with pulp of capons boiled in water and salt. Paste this
meat in a mortar and temper with a little cold water and pass with the
bread crumb through the sieve and mix together with the other things and
make wafers. One can also make with almond milk and egg yolks. Scappi
Cap CXLI , folio 420, book 6.

Johnnae