[Sca-cooks] BertramKraut

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 6 09:26:07 PST 2007

Am Dienstag, 6. März 2007 17:13 schrieb ranvaig at columbus.rr.com:
> I've been looking for the translation of BertramKraut or Pertrumkraut.
>
> http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/germ/Arte_dra.html
> says Tarragon in German is "fälschlich Bertram"
> or false Bertam.  "The German name Bertram is
> sometimes misapplied to tarragon, but should be
> reserved for Anacyclus pyrethrum (Asteraceae). It
> is an adaptation of the Greek plant name
> pyrethron".
>
> Tarragon seems more likely for use in cooking.
> Does anyone have more information on this?

I'd trust Gernot Katzer on this one. Bertram is definitely not tarragon. It is
still used in traditional South German cookery and German spicers sell
tarragon (Estragon) and Bertram as separate herbs. They certainly taste
different.

I've never had fresh Bertram, actually... the dried stuff is good with cheese.

Giano