[Sca-cooks] Roast piggy was Doing my best from digest Issue 22

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 6 22:06:09 PST 2007

Yep.  I was playing with recipe 8.

Schuesseln is, I believe modernly Schussel with the umlauted U. which can
translate as dish, bowl, basin, tureen, sauce boat, gravy boat, and (of a
meal) dish or course.  The terminal "n" and the usage make me think this may
mean "a small bowl."  I suspect the meaning is "lay on that a dish," as
opposed to putting the board on the dish.   This interpretation would also
match the grammatic logic of the following sentence, as I understand it

Blat without any modifiers is really general and can mean a thin sheet of
anything, but it occurs to me that the ears on a roast piglet would probably
be the most overcooked piece of meat on the animal and a little gilding
would hide them and brighten up the festivities.

As a manuscript cookbook, I think part of the translation problem is this is
a culinary aide-memoire rather than a collection of fully transcribed
recipes.  That would explain the gaps in the instructions.

Bear