[Sca-cooks] grow your own spices? (was) Onion Juice - and Saffronmeasurements

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Mar 7 09:37:38 PST 2007

> Being new to Oklahoma (I'm a California transplant) I am having to deal with furry things and weather I never dealt with before. I am going to try a fresh herb garden this year anyway :D I already have some seeds started in a green house.
>
> Any suggestions for other period cooking herbs?
 > Right now I have Rosemary, Tarragon, Marjoram, basal (purple), and
>lemon Balm. I don't know how period any of those are but they are a
>start :)

Rosemary, marjoram and Lemon balm turn up the most of those in period
recipes.

I would suggest Sage (reasonably critter safe and chancy to buy),
parsley, lovage if you can get it (it's a pretty plant but large),
cilantro if you want to do Andalusian foods, borage, sweet violets,
sorrel. If you want to do salads, there are more herbs and greens that
are very useful. You can try growing herbs for their seeds, but that can
be a picky process and I find it easier to buy anise, mustard, etc.
seeds commercially-- though yellow mustard seeds, sown broadcast, bring
up mustard greens quite easily. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net