[Sca-cooks] Orange Flower Water, was Orange flavored wafers ( was Pomegranate and Onion Juice)

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 19:30:20 PST 2007

Orange flower water doesn't taste or smell anything like oranges. Nor
does it smell or taste anything like rose flower water, although the
usage is often similar.

As for use, i like my hot chocolate with about twice as much
unsweetened cocoa powder as sugar, then i pour in the hot milk and
stir, then i add a dash of orange flower water instead of vanilla.

Strangely, I haven't seen recipes using orange flower water within
SCA period (anyone know of any?). Yes, i know that oranges came a bit
late, but the first recipe i recall seeing orange flower water is
from the mid-17th C., in "Le Cuisinier Francois", i think, which
seems rather late to me. Clearly the Arabs were distilling things, to
get rose water, for example, and i wonder why they didn't make and
use orange flower water, too. Or perhaps the cookbooks using it have
been lost (or not translated). I'm going to start looking for just
"flower water" as it appears that way in some 17th c. references.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita