[Sca-cooks] Orange Flower Water

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:48:55 PST 2007

Lilinah wrote:

> Strangely, I haven't seen recipes using orange flower water within
> SCA period (anyone know of any?). Yes, i know that oranges came a bit
> late, but the first recipe i recall seeing orange flower water is
> from the mid-17th C., in "Le Cuisinier Francois"

    As pointed out in Jadwiga Zajaczkowa's reply Sent Sovi I have also
found it used in the recipe for Sweet and Sour Grape Sauce. Rose water
is used in the Sweet and Sour Recipe and in Blancmange and Amidon. I did
not find orange water in the 13th C Anonymous  Hispano-Arab Manuscript
but did find some 10 recipes I think calling for rosewater. Five use it
to dissolve camphor, saffron, gum Arab and musk. One calls for it to be
sprinkled on dough while others sprinkle the dish with it. I do not see
that Nola used orange flower water but on innumerous occasions he does
call for orange juice.
    It does make sense that other flowers were distilled to flavor water
as we see with medieval salads.- If it grows in the garden use it.
Suey