[Sca-cooks] saffron, continued

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Mar 9 06:17:15 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> The the spice the whole or just the pollen of the top of the thread?
>
> The whole thread-- that is the stamen-- is the spice. But as you can
> imagine that means one bulb, one thread.
>
> I believe that the bulbs can be overwintered in some places but not
> others, though generally one plants them in the spring (unlike other
> bulbs). You probably get better results with removing and replanting
> though.

Actually the saffron thread is the stigma rather than the stamen--the
stamen is what holds the pollen. And there are three stigmas (and thus
threads) per flower.

Lovely picture of the flowers: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/saffron.htm

If our local garden center has bulbs again this year I may have to try
growing them, just to see if it will work in the MN climate.

YIS,

Margaret FitzWilliam