[Sca-cooks] saffron, continued (poison vs editable)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Mar 9 12:17:43 PST 2007

Yes. "Autumn Crocus" is used both to refer to the saffron crocus (Crocus
sativa/us) and members of the Colchicum genus. Colchicums are poisonous,
Crocus sativa is not.

The page on saffron that the Brooklyn Botanical Garden has up says that a
Colchicum has six stamens while a Crocus only has three:
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2001fa_crocus.html

And they have a few more links as to where to get bulbs, too.

YIS,

Margaret FitzWilliam