[Sca-cooks] The Bad, the Good, and the Better ;-)

charding at nwlink.com charding at nwlink.com
Wed Mar 14 07:16:54 PDT 2007

Bummer on the great poultry massacre.

I know that McMurray www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ has silver grey dorkings
(they are spendy as chicks go 3.14 per chick (straight run), 4.25 for
females.)

Sandhill preservation
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html#dorkings says
that they are sold out for the entire 2007 season.

There are several colors (silver grey, red, black and colored.)

We had colored dorkings for 3 years, they were pretty, the roosters were
very agressive, they were OK setters, we did get some chicks.

the first batch we had also met their end in a game of dog and
chicken..... BUT, the 2nd batch and their chicks didn't over winter very
well. In fact the last winter, we did not make it out of the winter with
any (we started with 12 birds.) We think that the climate here in Olympia
WA is not very good for them....

Now we have dominiques. and are getting 25 more in May (we alternate
hatching and new chicks to get different bloodlines)

Maeva