[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:48:05 PDT 2007

Siren Song wrote:

>> They said your topic is "Renaissance". . .
>> #2 1400-1600 European, Asian, and African.
>>

> ------------------------------

    Am I missing something here? Personally, I only deal with Spanish
late medieval history. I cut the line with Isabel the Catholic just to
round off historical years a bit but as far as food is concerned, I
don't stop until I see a definite incorporation of American products.
Even so I would be reluctant to cite Granados' cookery book (1599) as a
're-birth in  cookery' due to the few American products mentioned. It
appears to me that "Renaissance" in cookery can be defined and that it
begins after 1600.
    From what period do we have records of Asian and African cookery? I
know not. It would seem to me that one speaking English only would be
able to streamline articles to English materials only. "De re
coquinaria" was neither in English originally nor was it written in
either time frame indicated above.  English texts could be reduced once
the line is drawn between medieval and Renaissance and the period about
which you are writing is clear.
Susan