[Sca-cooks] tomato soup

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 25 11:51:28 PDT 2007

Ah yes Andrew Smith, of course!
That might well be why I suggested that book at 9:43 AM --

There is a book titled Souper Tomatoes The Story of America's Favorite Food
by* *Andrew F. Smith
http://rutgerspress.rutgers.edu/acatalog/__Souper_Tomatoes_441.html

Now having the time to look at said book, I can
report that he cites a circa 1770 recipe from the Horry
papers that makes concentrated tomato sauce that is
then used for soups. There are a number of 19th century recipes
including an 1824 one from Cooke's Cookery and Confectionary.
Another appears in Lee's Cook's Own Book in 1832.

Johnnae