[Sca-cooks] help on 17th c. French Chocolate Drinking

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:23:35 PDT 2007

Aha!
http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2005_10_16_archive.html

It was no doubt a shrewd editorial decision that saw the inclusion of an
engraving of three exotic men in Lyon pharamcist Philippe Sylvestre Dufour's
1671 Traitez Nouveaux & Curieux du Café, du Thé et du Chocolate. Ouvrage
également necessaire aux Medecins , & à tous ceux qui aiment leur santé.
(The manner of Making Coffee, Tea & Chocolate)

The three men (above) represent the middle east, asia and the new worlds and
are depicted drinking coffee, tea and chocolate, which didn't become
particularly fashionable in europe until the latter part of the 17th
century, due in no little part to Dufour's popular book. In it he describes
methods for making each beverage and debates the medicinal benefits and
drawbacks of the caffeine drinks; though he lifted much of the
material<http://www.polybiblio.com/antiqbot/A103.html>from other
sources it seems.

This was not the first that had been heard of chocolate or Theobroma
cacao(food of the Gods) in europe. In the middle of the 16th century,
two Aztec
Indians produced the seminal botanical and herbal Badianus
manuscript<http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/biolib/hc/journeys/book13.html>or
Codex
Barberini<http://images.google.co.uk/images?num=100&hl=en&q=badianus%20&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi>.
Their work was sent to King Charles V of Spain and it was reported that the
Aztec King Montezuma also drank chocolate before visiting his harem.

   - Dufour's book (the 1688 2nd edition) is online at Biblioteca Digital
   de Obras Raras et
Especiais<http://www.obrasraras.usp.br/obras/001866/>in Brazil (click
   on the book cover) but there is only one other engraving that I saw,
   with little in the way of artistic merit.

http://www.obrasraras.usp.br/obras/001866/   Is the link for the book. I
hope you can read old French!

Ysabeau